Sunday, April 24, 2011

Kehinde Wiley

Kehinde_Wiley2.jpg

I really liked the paintings of Kehinde Wiley because I think they each tell a very strong story or message, but at the same time, they catch your eye because he uses bright colors to make his messages even stronger.  I think that this painting in particular is a more serious tone but also has a sense of positive light.  It brings out the culture of African Americans, mostly men, and depicts the way they life their lives.  I think he shows a unique style in which European portraiture meets modern hip-hop culture. The poses and objects in each of his paintings are based on well-known images of powerful figures drawn from earlier centuries.  I think that Kehinde Wiley is an extremely inspirational artist and truly values his work.   

No comments:

Post a Comment